What is smudging? Many of you reading this might not know what smudging or saging is, but we're pretty sure you've been exposed to it before! While the practice itself is becoming more mainstream in North American, it is not new by any means.
Smudging is native to the Indigenous populations of North America. Thousands of years ago, Native Americans used to bundle and light dried sage in order to cleanse and purify their homes and families. The process was ceremonial and spiritual.
Native Americans believed the heavy smoke from the sage stick would capture negative energies like anger or hate and then carry them away with the wind. This process left people and places feeling calm and free from all impurities.
The Science Behind Smudging
Whether you believe in the practice of smudging, it's hard to ignore the recent scientific evidence supporting it. Starting in 2006, studies surfaced stating smudging effectively works as an antiseptic to clean and purify the air. Additionally, further studies were conducted to prove certain types of smudge sticks help to reduce stress, depression, and anxiety. You can read more about these studies here. All in all, whether you have studied the science behind the practice or heard about the positive impact from a friend, there's no denying it works.
Smudging can be done for any reason and at any time. If you're moving into a new home, starting a new job, or welcoming a new member into your family, we recommend smudging. Also, you can use a smudge stick to cleanse your crystals or gemstone jewelry.
At RAAS, we are currently selling floral smudge sticks made by Poppy Wynn Flower Co. Each smudge stick is made from fresh florals and has a different meaning and purpose. If you don't live in Edmonton, you can also purchase smudge sticks from a variety of shops online. We recently purchased a few smudge sticks from The Ritual.
If you've never used a smudge stick before, here's how to perform a smuding ritual:
- Holding the smudge stick, say a prayer for guidance, purity, and peace.
- Much like meditation, set an intention for your smudging ritual. Keep this in mind as you continue through the steps.
- Take a match or lighter and light the end of your smudge stick.
- Grab your smudging bowl (or any regular bowl that can handle heat). This bowl will catch any embers that fall of the stick as you work.
- As the stick begins to smoke, waft the smoke towards you to cleanse your body and being.
- Move purposefully with the stick. Enter every room in your home and the smoke fill the space.
- Once you and your space feel fully cleansed, press the lit end of the stick into your bowl to extinguish the ember.
Repeat this ritual whenever you feel you need a cleanse, when new changes occur, or when you hear bad news. If you intend to use your smudge stick to cleanse your crystals or gemstone jewelry, follow the same steps but focus specifically on your pieces.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to email us or message us on social media.